There are basically two types of rats the Norway rat and the Roof rat. The Norway rat is the largest of the two and most common in our part of the world. Rats, like mice are commensal with humans. Rats not only damage/destroy property by gnawing, but they also are vectors or carriers of diseases.
Signs of Infestation:
1. Seeing/Hearing the Rat – Adult Norway rats are approximately 7-91/2” long with tail length 6-8”. Adult Roof rat are approx 6-8” long with tail length 7-10”. Norway rats fur is course, brown with scattered black hair. Roof rats have soft, smooth fur with brown and black intermixed colors. Scratching or the “pitter patter” of feet usually at night (both Roof and Norway rats are nocturnal) is a sure sign of an infestation.
2. Droppings – Probably the most common sign. Fresh droppings are soft and moist whereas, old droppings are dried and hard.
3. Gnaw Marks – New gnawing or holes in places not noticed before.
4. Rub Marks – Dark marks along vertical surfaces where rats frequent.
5. Damaged Goods – Look for items eaten through, such as cereals, seeds, breads, pet food, etc. However rats will eat just about anything humans eat.
Control and Elimination:
The key to any rat control program is identification, sanitation, harborage elimination, and finding points of entry. Rats need an opening about the size of a quarter to enter a premise, so finding all entry points may be difficult. Westex will put a program in place to eliminate and help control the rat infestation.
Our Treatment program starts with a thorough inspection of the premise. Our technicians will then use the following materials, but not limited to baits, traps, and tracking powders. We will also give you pointers on how to discourage the rats from entering, and “sticking-around”. For example, keeping pet food off the floor when you’re pet is not feeding, keeping food off counter tops (such as breads) and keeping food in sealed containers will help greatly. Making sure points of entry such as garage door weather stripping is in good repair, cracks in foundations walls are sealed, etc.
Call Westex Pest Management today and let us rid your premise of Rats. These are destructive, disease carrying vectors that must be eliminated quickly. Remember “When we come…Pest go!!!”